The 14th Canadian Hussars
While not officially perpetuated by The Saskatchewan Dragoons, the story of the 14th Canadian Hussars is a very real part of our military tradition. Our late Honourary Lieutenant Colonel Jack Sader, a captain with the 8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars) during World War II, lived to see a subunit of The Saskatchewan Dragoons established in Swift Current, and the Dragoons granted "Freedom of the City".
The 16th Mounted Rifles
The 16th Mounted Rifles, the first Militia regiment in Saskatchewan, was raised on 3 July 1905, with headquarters in Grenfell. (Saskatchewan was a territory at this time and did not become a province until September 1st, 1905.) The 16th Mounted Rifles, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R.J. Gwynn, formed an independent squadron known as D Squadron in Moose Jaw, with Major George Stuart Tuxford (1870-1943) as Officer Commanding. The name "16th Mounted Rifles" was a misnomer in that it was intended for the unit to be a cavalry regiment, but "mounted rifles" denotes mounted infantry. And so, on October 1st, 1908, the 16th Mounted Rifles were redesignated the 16th Light Horse.
The 27th Light Horse
On April 1st, 1910, the Officers and Senior NCOs of D Squadron, with approval from then Colonel Sam Steele, commander of Militia District No. 10, and Minister of Militia Brigidier General Sam Hughes, formed the 27th Light Horse, with Regimental Headquarters at Moose Jaw. Major Tuxford was promoted Lieutenant Colonel, and the regiment began to grow rapidly. LCol Tuxford wrote in his memoirs:
5th Canadian Infantry Battalion (Western Cavalry)
With the outbreak of the Great War in 1914, LCol Tuxford approached Col Steele and requested that a mounted contingent, under Tuxford's command, be sent overseas. Unfortunately for LCol Tuxford, another cavalry regiment had already been chosen for this task. However, seizing the initiative, Tuxford made a request to form a dismounted contingent. Tuxford wrote:
Tuxford, who became a Brigadier General, hoped that should he be given the opportunity to form a mounted unit in France, he would have an entire battalion of cavalry in place. The opportunity never came.
8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars)
By the end of World War I, the regimental headquarters of the 27th Light Horse had been moved from Moose Jaw to Swift Current. However, the 27th Light Horse continued on. The regiment was redesignated the 14th Canadian Light Horse on March 15, 1920, and the 14th Canadian Hussars on August 1st, 1940.
The unit was mobilized on 26 January 1941. It was converted to armour and redesignated the 8th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Battalion (14th Canadian Hussars) on 1 April 1941, and as the 8th (Reserve) Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars) on 8 June 1942. The unit acted as the reconnaissance regiment of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, and its battle honours read like an account of Canada's participation in the war in northwest Europe:
14th Canadian Hussars
Reflecting its actual role during World War II, the unit was redesignated the 8th Armoured Car Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars) in 1947. In 1949 the name was reversed to the 14th Canadian Hussars (8th Armoured Car Regiment). 1954 saw this name shortened to the 14th Canadian Hussars (8th Armoured Regiment). Finally, on 19 May 1958, the Regiment became the 14th Canadian Hussars.
On 1 March 1965, the 14th Canadian Hussars met the fate of too many other proud regiments. On that date, the unit was disbanded and "placed on the Supplementary Order of Battle". The armoury in Swift Current was sold to the city.
16th Light Horse, Capt J.D. Murray, 2002, unpublished
8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars), Internet, © 1997-2002 by Chris Johnson
14th Canadian Hussars, Internet, © 1995-2002 by Regiments.Org
Return to the Saskatchewan Dragoons history page.
Page created 11 December 2002.
Last modified 31 october 2006.
Copyright © 2002, 2006 The Saskatchewan Dragoons. All rights reserved.